RE: [pnfs] nfs41: sunrpc: handle clnt==NULL in call_status

> From: Benny Halevy [mailto:bhalevy@xxxxxxxxxxx]

[snip]

> >> We could, though it would cause the reconnection to occur in the
> >> backchannel code path.  Haven't thought it through, but it sounds
> >> cleaner to rebind the session (or reset it if the server went away)
in
> >> the forechannel context.  I wonder if it would be acceptable to
simply
> >> drop the backchannel request, and have the forechannel reestablish
the
> >> connection (on a retransmission)?

> >> The mainline RPC call_transmit() is already able to deal with RPC
> >> transmissions that don't expect a reply.  This is pretty similar to
> >> sending a reply, so we're leveraging the existing rpc_xprt.
> >>
> >> One alternative could be to construct an svc_xprt for the
backchannel
> >> and use svc_send() for the reply.  I wonder if it's really a better
> >> approach since we already have the rpc_xprt available.
> >
> > I failed to mention that with the existing approach we're able to
> > synchronize forechannel calls and backchannel replies on the
rpc_xprt
> > (XPRT_LOCKED bit).  It uses the synchronization mechanism already in
> > mainline to prevent mixing the payload of requests and replies.
>
> Right, but we need to do this at the xprt layer.  I don't think that
> this mandates starting the reply process from the rpc layer
> as we do today in bc_send.
>
> Note that bc_svc_process gets both an rpc_rqst and a svc_rqst.
> Although we forge a svc_rqst including setting up its rq_xprt
> which is a svc_xprt, I'm not sure what exactly it is used for.

Correct, we build the svc_rqst so that we can use it in the processing
of the backchannel request.  This way we reuse all of the existing v4
backchannel logic for decoding, authenticating, dispatching, and result
checking in svc_process_common().

> Eventually, we end up sending the reply (via bc_send) using
> the rpc_rqst and its associated rpc_xprt.  This will allow
> us to synchronize properly on the bi-directional channel.

If we really want to avoid the RPC state machine, I guess we could first
serialize on the rpc_rqst by calling test_and_set_bit(XPRT_LOCKED,
&xprt->state) to ensure no outgoing RPC grabs the transport.  We then
issue the reply using svc_send() with the svc_rqst.  This does avoid
having to copy the send buffer into the rpc_rqst, avoid building an
rpc_task, and avoid entering the RPC state machine, though it requires
an extra synchronization on the svc_xprt.xpt_mutex.

Is this along the lines of what you're thinking?  I can give it a try...

- ricardo