Re: [pnfs] nfs41: sunrpc: handle clnt==NULL in call_status

On Wed, 2008-11-05 at 11:53 -0500, Chuck Lever wrote:
> Now we have to have this conversation again when adding any new
> transport capability, such as SCTP.

> Plus, to support NFSv4.1 over RDMA, you now _require_ the existence of
> an IP network between client and server.  This may be as minor as
> ensuring IPoIB is configured on both ends, but it's still a
> significant extra step for a pure SAN over RDMA environment.  This
> obviates the whole point of combining the forward and back channels
> onto one transport.
>
> In my opinion you are making the developer's life simpler now and
> complicating the lives of current users and admins, and future
> developers.

Please read what Ricardo said: this is a _first_ approximation, not a
final solution. Given what they're hoping to achieve, I'm fine with
doing a simple implementation of sessions first, then progressively
refining it.

Furthermore, there should be nothing conceptually  in his design that
prevents you from adapting it to other transports: it is basically just
preallocating a buffer, then using that as a receive buffer when you
find that you have a callback request.

Trond