Re: Make sm-notify faster if there are no servers to notify

J. Bruce Fields wrote:
On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 05:30:03PM +0000, Phil Endecott wrote:
J. Bruce Fields wrote:
On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 12:13:20AM +0000, Phil Endecott wrote:
Dear Experts,

sm-notify was taking a long time while my laptop booted. This was odd because I use NFS only rarely - via autofs - on that machine, and sm-notify actually has no-one to notify most of the time. So I have patched it as follows. Is this a legitimate thing to do?

It looks like your patch was committed to nfs-utils a couple weeks ago:
see c8d18e26d2a53d9036a32c2dafebccaf4ce1634d from

	git://linux-nfs.org/nfs-utils

--b.

How curious. I guess someone saw my Debian bug report. No mention of it on this list as far as I can see though.

I presume from this that it is considered a safe thing to do.

It looks right to me.  Hopefully somebody actually has tested this on a
client that holds locks when it reboots?

Not me.

I remember this was one of the things Arjan mentioned having to disable
in his "5-second boot" talk at the Linux Plumbers Conference, so you're
not the only one to have noticed the problem....

Yes; I noticed the huge pause due to the sync() and applied this fix. It was only later that I looked at Arjan's slides (I had to wait until someone had converted then from PowerPoint to PDF...) and saw that he had the same thing in his bootchart.

Phil.