Re: RPC retransmission of write requests containing bogus data

On Fri, 2008-10-17 at 14:01 +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-10-17 at 08:48 -0400, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> > I don't see how this could be an RPC bug. The networking layer is
> > supposed to either copy the data sent to the socket, or take a reference
> > to any pages that are pushed via the ->sendpage() abi.
> >
> > IOW: the pages are supposed to be still referenced by the networking
> > layer even if the NFS layer and page cache have dropped their
> > references.
>
> The pages are still referenced by the networking layer. The problem is
> that the userspace app has been told that the write has completed so it
> is free to write new data to those pages.
>
> Ian.

OK, I see your point.

Does this happen at all with NFSv4? I ask because the NFSv4 client will
always ensure that the TCP connection gets broken before a
retransmission. I wouldn't therefore expect any races between a reply to
the previous transmission and the new one...

--
Trond Myklebust
Linux NFS client maintainer

NetApp