Re: Is NFS v4 stable and recommend to use now?

On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 12:49:50AM +0800, Roy M. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are just using v3 for quite a long time, very stable, performance
> are not bad but like many others, want to explore if possible to have
> a better throughput.

Raw throughput should be the same.  And I think the little benchmarking
I've seen has found that to be true.

If you're just doing big I/O to a few files, that may be all you care
about.  If you're doing something more complicated then the situation
isn't well understood yet.

> Seems that are not many benchmark in the web about v4 vs v3 for
> performance, etc. Anyone mind sharing some experience? What are the
> real advantages in using v4?

In theory: if you're doing file locking or reopening files a lot, then
you may see a benefit from v4 delegations (which permit the client in
some situations to do those operations without telling the server), and
I do recall seeing some improvements e.g. with kernel compiles (which
tend to reopen a small set of files frequently).

--b.