Re: Linux NFS-HOWTO - improvement to Troubleshooting permission denied

Some CC's corrected.

On Aug 25, 2008, at Aug 25, 2008, 11:55 AM, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 11:41:02AM -0400, Chuck Lever wrote:
Hi Jari-

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 3:36 AM, Jari Aalto <jari.aalto@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thank you for the NFS howto (last modified 2006). Please add further
diagnostics to section:

=> "I do not have permission to access files on the mounted volume"
      http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/ar01s07.html#pemission_issues

The error condition "Permission denied" also happens in certain NFS
(client/server) combinations and the workaround is to add additional
mount parameter at client:

      sec=sys

Please add this to the "#pemission_issues" (tag the word seems to have a
small typo).

This is a known bug in nfs-utils 1.1.3 when used with older client
kernels that do not support text-based mounts.

Seems like an esoteric (ie not widespread) problem, but I could easily
be wrong about that.

People should be able to upgrade nfs-utils without upgrading their
kernel!

Of course. But Bugs Happen. I'm not implying that nfs-utils 1.1.3 requires a kernel upgrade, but merely describing the conditions where the issue appears.

In fact, you may recall a recent and rather protracted e-mail conversation where we determined that the text-based NFS mount implementation is not working correctly in this case either.

The referenced debian bug report:

claims the first bad commit is a server-side commit that itself seems to
claim to work around a problem?  ("For mountd, it does not advertise
AUTH_NULL anymore. This is necessary to avoid backward compatibility
issue. If AUTH_NULL appears in the list, either the new or the old
client will choose that over AUTH_SYS.")

Did we ever find the actual root cause?

The bad commit does not live up to the comments it introduced, which claim that the legacy mount command will skip AUTH_NULL as a default if it receives it in the auth flavor list from mountd. I haven't verified this, but otherwise, yes, we have an RCA.

I copied the patch author of record, bcwong@xxxxxxxxx, on the recent discussion, but we haven't heard any response. I think we will need to fix this ourselves. IMO the proper fix is to eliminate the possibility that the client will ever use AUTH_NULL unless "sec=null" is explicitly specified on the mount command line, then to get nfs- utils 1.1.4 posted with this fix.

If I may also observe: the bad commit attempts to change both server- side and client-side behavior in one go. Hindsight suggests the changes to nfsmount.c and mountd.c should have occurred in two separate commits so that automated bisection and surgical reversion are possible.

This reminds us again that we have an exponentially expanding test matrix for nfs-utils, especially considering the backwards- compatibility requirements. I would love to see significant test resources committed in this area.

--
Chuck Lever
chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com