nfs_file_flush() question

I've been coming up to speed on the NFS protocol and its NFS client
support in Linux.  I've been comparing performance of NFS on RHEL4
and RHEL5 vs. FreeBSD 6.2.  (Okay, we're on an old base, but I don't
think it matters here for this question.)

In watching the NFS protocols fly back and forth between BSD
and Linux clients to an NFS server, I noticed that Linux is
doing an extra GETATTR over FreeBSD when closing a read-write
file.  I tracked this back to nfs_file_flush() which is
doing a __nfs_revalidate_inode() (or in current kernels
nfs_revalidate_inode()).  Why do we want nfs_file_flush() to force
a revalidate of an inode we're closing?  Why not instead just
invalidate the inode's attribute?

I looked at the FreeBSD 6.2 code.  In its nfs_close(), it does an
"np->n_attrstamp = 0;" to invalidate the inode's attribute cache.

The current Linux kernel code in question in nfs_file_flush() is:
==========
    /* Ensure that data+attribute caches are up to date after close() */
    status = nfs_do_fsync(ctx, inode);
    if (!status)
            nfs_revalidate_inode(NFS_SERVER(inode), inode);

I would imagine this better as:
    /* Ensure that data+attribute caches are up to date after close() */
    status = nfs_do_fsync(ctx, inode);
    if (!status && !(NFS_SERVER(inode)->flags & NFS_MOUNT_NOCTO))
            NFS_I(inode)->cache_validity |= NFS_INO_INVALID_ATTR;