Re: NFS performance degradation of local loopback FS.

Benny Halevy <bhalevy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 06/23/2008 06:10:40 PM:

> Apparently the file is cached.  You needed to restart nfs
> and remount the file system to make sure it isn't before reading it.
> Or, you can create a file larger than your host's cache size so
> when you write (or read) it sequentially, its tail evicts its head
> out of the cache.  This is a less reliable method, yet creating a
> file about 25% larger than the host's memory size should work for you.

I did a umount of all filesystems and restart NFS before testing. Here
is the result:

Local:
      Read:  69.5 MB/s
      Write: 70.0 MB/s
NFS of same FS mounted loopback on same system:
      Read:  29.5 MB/s  (57% drop)
      Write: 27.5 MB/s  (60% drop)

The drops seems exceedingly high. How can I figure out the source of the
problem? Even if it is as general as to be able to state: "Problem is in
the NFS client code" or "Problem is in the NFS server code", or "Problem
can be mitigated by tuning" :-)

Thanks,

- KK