Re: NFS performance degradation of local loopback FS.

Hi Benny,

> According to dd's man page, the f{,date}sync options tell it to
> "physically write output file data before finishing"
> If you kill it before that you end up with dirty data in the cache.
> What exactly are you trying to measure, what is the expected application
> workload?

I changed my test to do what you were doing instead of killing
dd's, etc. The end application is DB2 and it is using multiple
processes and I wanted to simulate that with micro-benchmarks.
The only reliable way to benchmark bandwidth for multiple
processes is to kill the tests after running them for some time
instead of letting them run till conclusion.

> ext3 mount options: noatime
> nfs mount options: rsize=65536,wsize=65536
> dd options: bs=64k count=10k conv=fsync
>
> (write results average of 3 runs)
> write local disk:     47.6 MB/s
> write loopback nfsv3: 30.2 MB/s
> write remote nfsv3:   29.0 MB/s
> write loopback nfsv4: 37.5 MB/s
> write remote nfsv4:   29.1 MB/s
>
> read local disk:      50.8 MB/s
> read loopback nfsv3:  27.2 MB/s
> read remote nfsv3:    21.8 MB/s
> read loopback nfsv4:  25.4 MB/s
> read remote nfsv4:    21.4 MB/s

I used the exact same options you are using, and here is the results
averaged across 3 runs:

Write local disk      58.5 MB/s
Write loopback nfsv3: 29.42 MB/s (50% drop)

Reading (file created from /dev/urandom, somehow I am getting in GB/sec
            while your results were comparable to write's):
      Read local disk:      2.77 GB/s
      Read loopback nfsv3:  2.86 GB/s (higher for some reason)

Thanks,

- KK