Re: NFS performance degradation of local loopback FS.

Krishna Kumar2 wrote:
      200 processes:

By "200 processes", I meant 200 dd's, each reading from /dev/zero and
writing to a file on the filesystem. The script "nfs" was run twice, first
with
a local filesystem and the second time with the same filesystem NFS
mounted.

Well, you aren't exactly comparing apples to apples.  The NFS
client does close-to-open semantics, meaning that it writes
all modified data to the server on close.  The dd commands run
on the local file system do not.  You might trying using
something which does an fsync before closing so that you are
making a closer comparison.

All that said, yes, one would expect a slow down.  How much is
debatable and varies from platform to platform and load to load.

I would also advise care when running NFS like that.  It is
subject to deadlock and is not recommended.

      ps

Thanks,

- KK