Re: [RFC] nfsd: make nfs4xdr WRITEMEM safe against zero count

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 12:24:58PM -0400, Chuck Lever wrote:
> By the way, here is a pointer to the old work:
>
>   http://git.linux-nfs.org/?p=cel/cel-2.6.git;a=shortlog;h=drop-20070423
>
> The work in this snapshot is only partially complete.
>
> There are many many issues to fix up.  One of the bigger ones is that
> the RPC layer still takes the BKL during XDR encoding and decoding.  But
> I wanted to create something that could be fully or partially shared by
> the client and server implementations, and that would be more rigorous
> about static and dynamic type checking.
>
> In addition, the NFSv4 routines use a new style of managing the RPC
> buffer that I wanted to adopt for the other in-kernel XDR routines, then
> convert the RPC client to use only the new style when invoking XDR
> routines.  I never got that far, but I still think it's a reasonable
> goal.

To find something manageable to start with, what's the minimum first
step that that would achieve Benny's goal of replacing those server-side
xdr macros?

>From a quick glance at the patches: a kerneldoc comment for each xdr
encode/decode seems like overkill, since it's mostly boilerplate; could
we document those arguments just once with the definition of kxdrproc_t,
then refer to that comment as necessary?

Anyway, seems like good stuff to me.

--b.