Re: [NFS] NFSv3 + SVN + Apache2 gives stale filehandles and FORBIDDEN responses

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 04:07:39PM +0200, Allard Hoeve wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm currently experiencing the following on Debian Etch (nfsv3, 2.6.24.2):
>
> http://linux-nfs.org/pipermail/nfsv4/2008-April/008423.html
>
> It is properly summarized by J. Bruce Fields at:
>
> http://linux-nfs.org/pipermail/nfsv4/2008-April/008452.html
>
> I can reproduce this easily.
>
> Let's assume three hosts:
>
> * Host A is where development happens, this has a separate checkout
> * Host B is where the checkout gets updated (shellserver) on an NFS mount
> * Host C is where the webserver resides, Apache serves from the an NFS
>     mount that points to the same server as B's NFS mount points to
>
> This setup is easily created if you have two hosts and access to an SVN
> server.
>
> To reproduce:
>
> 1) I update the testfile on host A and commit it.
> 2) I update the checkout with svn commit on host B.
> 3) No I test the file on host C:
>     a) I try to access the file on host C through the webserver: permission
>        denied (stale NFS handle)
>     b) I try to stat the file: cannot stat 'test': Stale NFS file handle
> 4) A simple 'cat test' gives me the new contents of 'test' and solves the
>      problem. The file is now 'stat'-able and downloadable through the
>      webserver.
>
> Where should I start to solve the problem? From the threads above, I seem
> to understand that fixing this in userspace (Apache2 / stat) would require
> some work and that the solution lies in the NFS client? This would require
> me hacking the NFS kernel code.  *shivers* :)
>
> Or maybe there already is someone working on the problem? *crosses
> fingers*. I could test patches, etc if you'd like.x

The only proposal I've heard to address this involves fixing the client
to retry a lookup one time.  The steps of that project as I understand
it are:

	1. Digest this message from Al Viro into language the rest of us
	   can understand:
	   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/676019/focus=676145
	2. Implement the result.

Looks difficult but fun....