[NFS] nfs locking problems maybe solved

Hi all,

I may have solved the locking problems I experience every once in a
while on my machines. It seems the nfs server needs access to the
portmapper on the clients. So, I granted access in hosts.allow and
that seems to have solved a lot of problems.

I experienced two kinds of locking problems:

1) sometimes rrdtool could not lock rrd files

rrdtool runs every 5 minutes on all clients, this problem always
solved itself

2) sometimes it was impossible to lock any file on an entire
filesystem and it would be impossible to release those locks even by
unmounting the filesystem and mounting it again

This morning I started receiving mails from all client machines
complaining they couldn't lock rrd files. The nfs server was spewing
the following lines in its log:

May 21 09:25:02 ananke kernel: lockd: server voyager not responding,
timed out
May 21 09:25:02 ananke kernel: lockd: couldn't create RPC handle for
voyager

Meanwhile the client said:
May 21 09:09:25 voyager portmap[13799]: connect from 192.168.200.45 to
getport(nlockmgr): request from unauthorized host

So I granted 192.168.200.45 access to the portmapper on voyager, and
most clients were unstuck. I updated hosts.allow on most clients to
grant access to the portmapper now.

Now I still have about 4 clients which can't lock rrd files. Umounting
the filesystem doesn't help. Umounting the filesystem for about 10
minutes doesn't help. So, I remounted the fs nolock on these
machines.

So, now I've got problem #2 on these clients on the filesystem
containing rrd files. Never had that before.

Problem #2 was always on the mail spool. Not sure if the problem is
still there, however currently the clients do seem to be able to lock
mailboxes.

I think problem #1 is gone now, I haven't received any mails of
servers not being able to lock rrd files anymore, except for the 4
clients which are never ever able to lock those files.

So, in short: locking is still unreliable for me, but the situation
has improved.

Everything is NFSv3 by the way. Most clients are opensuse 10.2 (kernel
2.6.18.8), server is opensuse 10.3 (kernel 2.6.22.17).

Met vriendelijke groet,

Erik Hensema
--
HostingXS