Re: how to parse the 64byte NFSv3 file handle

On May 19, 2008, at 7:08 AM, Talpey, Thomas wrote:
At 04:56 AM 5/19/2008, Benny Halevy wrote:
On May. 19, 2008, 11:14 +0300, xing jing <xingjing@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
recently, I want to get some information (like file access patten)
from a trace of NFS client. The simplest way may be parse the file
handle to get the file ino and directory ino, but I don't know how to
get them from the 64 of 16 hexadecimal. Can you tell me how to parse
file handle to get useful information, thanks very much.

That file handle contents are opaque to the client so you'd
need to have the server's code or reverse engineer its
structure.

Wireshark understands the format of many NFS server filehandles. You
can simply zoom-in on the filehandle in the details pane to see much of
this. Alternatively, you can look back in the trace to find the LOOKUP
or READDIR/READDIRPLUS to find the mapping between name and
filehandle.

By the way, not all filehandles are 64 bytes. That, too, is a server- specific choice.

Wireshark has the ability to sniff filehandles from certain server types. I believe both Linux server file handles and NetApp file handles are supported. You need to set this in the preference pane for the NFS decoder, it won't try to discover which server type you use automatically. Otherwise it will treat file handles as entirely opaque.

Also, there is a checkbox in the NFS decoder preference pane for enabling wireshark to associated file handles with file names and display the file names where appropriate.
The checkbox is "Snoop FH to filename mappings".

Tom.

Chuck Lever
chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com