Re: [NFS] Forcefully resetting a lock

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 11:17:24 +0200
Erik Hensema / HostingXS Internet Services <hensema@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Sometimes a file lock gets stuck. Is there any way on either server or
> client to obtain a list of locks? Or a list of processes/clients
> locking a particular file?

$ cat /proc/locks

The PID field can be a little misleading there though. On the server,
it'll generally show the pid of knfsd, and on the client you'll see
the pid of the processes actually doing the locking. As far as I know,
info about which clients have blocked locks isn't exposed.

> And the million dollar question: is it possible to forcefully remove a
> lock?

Hmm...with NFSv2/3, yes. You can send a SIGKILL to lockd to make it drop
all of its locks. You'll need to couple that with a statd SM_NOTIFY
event to make everyone recover their locks too...

> I'm using NFSv4 on Linux 2.6.18 (server and client).

I don't think the same sort of trick works for NFSv4. I suppose you
could probably shut down all the nfsd's on the server and bring
them back up again. I've never tested that though...