Re: nfs4_getfacl "Failed getxattr operation" when too many ACL entries exist

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008, Brian De Wolf wrote:

> Recently we've been prototyping serving Solaris ZFS exports via NFSv4 to some
> Linux hosts.  These will some day be exposed to general users, so I've been
> testing things to see if I can break them.  Anyway, it seems that nfs4_getfacl
> is only able to read ACLs with up to 208 entries.  nfs4_setfacl is able to
> insert a 209th entry, but any attempts to view or edit the ACLs after that
> fail with:
>
> Failed getxattr operation
> : Input/output error
>
> There are two ways to make the ACLs readable again:
> 1) Have someone log in to the Solaris box and remove some of the entries
> 2) Reset the ACLs using nfs4_setfacl -s `some spec`
>
> Has anyone run into this issue before?  Is it fixable?  I didn't reach the
> same problem locally on the Solaris box, nor on another Solaris box with the
> same NFS mount, so it looks like it's a problem specific to Linux.  Here's the
> versions of relevant packages on the test box running Gentoo (did I miss
> any?):
> Kernel: 2.6.23-gentoo-r8
> nfs-utils-1.1.0-r1
> attr-2.4.39
> nfs4-acl-tools-0.3.2

	honestly, this probably stems from some naive, unrevisited <ahem>
assumptions still lingering nfs4-acl-tools code that need fixing.  at the
-very- least, nfs4_setfacl could save the original ACL and attempt to
restore it if the setxattr() call fails.

	it's possible this case involves the server, but i suspect the
tools.  i'll look at this tomorrow and get back to you.

	.