Re: NFS: unknown mount option: grpid

On Apr 10, 2008, at 11:03 AM, Peter Staubach wrote:
Chuck Lever wrote:
Hi Jan-

On Apr 10, 2008, at 8:46 AM, Jan Sanders wrote:

Hi all,

I have come across a little NFS problem.

My nfs client, a Ubuntu-Hardy machine with nfs-common-1.1.2 tries to
mount a directory but fails complaining

Apr 10 12:18:34 sorpe kernel: [ 490.911951]NFS: unknown mount option: grpid

The mount options are rw,nosuid,grpid. The mount is done by autofs but
trying to mount the directory usdin the same options rw,nosuid,grpid
results in the same error.
I checked using strace that the mount call was indeed done using grpid.
The mount call returns with EINVAL invalis argument.

 From strace:
mount("nfs-server:/volumes/www", "/vol/www", "nfs", MS_NOSUID,
"grpid,addr=192.168.0.123") = -1 EINVAL (Invalid argument)

grpid isn't a valid NFS mount option; it's valid only for xfs and ext2/3, according to mount(8).

I can't explain why the earlier version of mount.nfs didn't complain about it.

I thought that the NFS mount command was supposed to ignore
mount options that it didn't understand.  It could perhaps
give a warning message, but should mount anyway.

I thought that this behavior was useful for automounter
applications which have to be able to share maps in a
heterogeneous environment.

Well, it does ignore legacy NFS mount options that are no longer supported.

However, I was not aware of a requirement for NFS mount to ignore all options it doesn't understand.

It's easy enough to add, I suppose.  Community opinion?

--
Chuck Lever
chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com