Re: [opensuse] nfs_update_inode: inode X mode changed, Y to Z

On Wed, March 26, 2008 6:09 am, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 09:59:58AM -0700, Adam Schrotenboer wrote:
>> Adam Schrotenboer wrote:

>>> Ok, I've unmounted and remounted with that option enabled
>>> (/proc/mounts confirms it's enabled). We'll see what happens.
>>
>>    Well, it's been almost 2 weeks (11 days anyhow) and I am not seeing
>> the nfs_update_inode message in the syslogs of any of our compute
>> servers. I need to talk to the various people who work with them to
>> verify, but it looks like this problem has been resolved.
>
> That's a workaround, at least, but it's unfortunate if a special mount
> option is required to get correct behavior for nfs exports.  Is there
> anything we can do?

I suggest taking it up with the XFS developers...

Dear XFS developers.
 Adam (and Jesper, though that was some time ago) was having problems
with an XFS filesystem that was exported via NFS.  The client would
occasionally report the message given in the subject line.
Examining the NFS code suggested that the most likely explanation
was that the generation number used in the file handle was the same
every time that the inode number was re-used.

Examining the XFS code suggested that when the 'ikeep' mount option was
used, the generation number be explicitly incremented for each
re-use, while without 'ikeep', no evidence of setting the generation
number could be found.  Maybe it defaults to zero.

Experimental evidence suggests that setting 'ikeep' removes the symptom.

Question:  Is is possible that without 'ikeep', XFS does not even try
to provide unique generation numbers?  If this is the case, could it
please be fixed.  If it is not the case, please help me find the code
responsible.

Thanks,
NeilBrown