Re: linux-next: boot warning after merge of the vfs-brauner tree

"Pankaj Raghav (Samsung)" <kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> On Mon, Aug 26, 2024 at 05:59:31PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> After merging the vfs-brauner tree, today's linux-next boot test (powerpc
>> pseries_le_defconfig) produced this warning:
>
> iomap dio calls set_memory_ro() on the page that is used for sub block
> zeroing.
>
> But looking at powerpc code, they don't support set_memory_ro() for
> memory region that belongs to the kernel(LINEAR_MAP_REGION_ID).
>
> /*
>  * On hash, the linear mapping is not in the Linux page table so
>  * apply_to_existing_page_range() will have no effect. If in the future
>  * the set_memory_* functions are used on the linear map this will need
>  * to be updated.
>  */
> if (!radix_enabled()) {
>         int region = get_region_id(addr);
>
>         if (WARN_ON_ONCE(region != VMALLOC_REGION_ID && region != IO_REGION_ID))
>                 return -EINVAL;
> }

We should probably just turn that into a printk(), WARN is kind of heavy handed.

> We call set_memory_ro() on the zero page as a extra security measure.

Or a data integrity measure. But either way it makes sense.

On architectures that do implement set_memory_ro() it potentially breaks
the linear mapping into small pages, which could have a performance impact.

cheers