Re: linux-next: duplicate patches in the vfs-brauner tree

Randy Dunlap wrote on Wed, Apr 03, 2024 at 05:21:01PM -0700:
> > [off topic, I just spent 10 minutes looking for the list of urls of the
> > repos merged into linux-next to check that 'vfs-brauner' tree commit as
> > it doesn't appear to be in next yet, and couldn't find it as there's no
> > "Merge branch x of ...brauner" commit in next at the moment.
> > I'm sure it's there somewhere and I didn't look at the right place, but
> > perhaps a link to such a list could be added to either of the following
> > (which all describe linux-next to some level):
> > - https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/linux-next.html
> > - Documentation/process/howto.rst
> > - Documentation/process/2.Process.rst
> > /off topic]
>
> If you look in the Next subdir in a linux-next tree, for 20240403 it shows:
>
> vfs-brauner	git	git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/vfs/vfs.git#vfs.all
>
> in the Trees file and in the merge.log file it shows:
>
> Merging vfs-brauner/vfs.all (35c44ac8370a Merge branch 'vfs.mount.api' into vfs.all)
> $ git merge -m Merge branch 'vfs.all' of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/vfs/vfs.git vfs-brauner/vfs.all

Thank you, I wasn't aware of this Next directory -- I'll definitely
look there next!

So these two commits content is identical but they are completly
different patches from different authors (I was wondering about the
different subject), and David never sent it as is to me as it was part
of another commit[1] and I guess the other half got dropped on a rebase
and I didn't notice the overlap...

[1] https://lkml.kernel.org/r/20240328163424.2781320-3-dhowells@xxxxxxxxxx

Given this I'd favor keeping Randy's older commit in my tree, so I'll
send it to Linus as soon as Christian gives his ok on dropping the
patch (or I guess it doesn't really make that much sense to wait any
longer at this point?)

Thanks,
--
Dominique Martinet | Asmadeus