Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the bcachefs tree

On Mon, Feb 12, 2024 at 10:54:56AM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After merging the bcachefs tree, today's linux-next build (x86_64
> allmodconfig) failed like this:
>
> ERROR: modpost: missing MODULE_LICENSE() in lib/thread_with_file.o
> ERROR: modpost: "stdio_redirect_vprintf" [fs/bcachefs/bcachefs.ko] undefined!
> ERROR: modpost: "thread_with_file_exit" [fs/bcachefs/bcachefs.ko] undefined!
> ERROR: modpost: "run_thread_with_stdio" [fs/bcachefs/bcachefs.ko] undefined!
> ERROR: modpost: "__darray_resize_slowpath" [fs/bcachefs/bcachefs.ko] undefined!
> ERROR: modpost: "stdio_redirect_readline" [fs/bcachefs/bcachefs.ko] undefined!
> ERROR: modpost: "run_thread_with_file" [fs/bcachefs/bcachefs.ko] undefined!
> ERROR: modpost: "__darray_resize_slowpath" [lib/thread_with_file.ko] undefined!
>
> Caused by commit
>
>   f894f9e5f0ad ("thread_with_file: Lift from bcachefs")
>
> I have used the version of bcachefs from next-20240206 again.

I've mentioned this before, but this patch (and I assume others) was not
posted to any mailing list before it appeared in -next. This process
failure really needs to be fixed. Please post _everything_ going into
your tree to at least linux-bcachefs mailing list, and for things that
toss stuff into lib/ it really needs to go to lkml too and CCed to some
subset of people who have touched lib/Kconfig, etc last.

And, as mentioned before, checkpatch.pl absolutely screams about this
commit. Lots of code style issues (unnamed arguments in declarations,
variables defined in the middle of function bodies, etc). Please adjust
these things so it's easier for other maintainers to work with and on
this code. :)

-Kees

--
Kees Cook