Re: [brauner-vfs:vfs.misc 12/13] include/linux/fs.h:911:9: error: call to '__compiletime_assert_207' declared with 'error' attribute: Need native word sized stores/loads for atomicity.

> If CONFIG_SMP is not enabled in include/asm-generic/barrier.h,
> then smp_load_acquire/smp_store_release is implemented as
> READ_ONCE/READ_ONCE and barrier() and type checking.
> READ_ONCE/READ_ONCE already checks the pointer type,
> but then checks it more stringently outside, but here the
> more stringent checking seems unnecessary, so it is removed
> and only the type checking in READ_ONCE/READ_ONCE is kept
> to avoid compilation errors.

Maha, brainfart on my end, I missed the !CONFIG_SMP case.
Sorry about that.

> When CONFIG_SMP is enabled on 32-bit architectures,
> smp_load_acquire/smp_store_release is not called in i_size_read/write,
> so there is no compilation problem. On 64-bit architectures, there
> is no compilation problem because sizeof(long long) == sizeof(long),
> regardless of whether CONFIG_SMP is enabled or not.

Yes, of course.

> Yes, using smp_rmb()/smp_wmb() would also solve the problem, but
> the initial purpose of this patch was to replace smp_rmb() in filemap_read()
> with the clearer smp_load_acquire/smp_store_release, and that's where
> the community is going with this evolution. Later on, buffer and page/folio
> will also switch to acquire/release, which is why I think Linus' suggestion
> is better.

Ah ok, thanks for the context. Can you send an updated series then, please?