Re: linux-next: Signed-off-by missing for commit in the drm-misc tree

On Tue, Nov 14, 2023 at 06:46:21PM -0500, Luben Tuikov wrote:
> On 2023-11-13 22:08, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> > BTW, cherry picking commits does not avoid conflicts - in fact it can
> > cause conflicts if there are further changes to the files affected by
> > the cherry picked commit in either the tree/branch the commit was
> > cheery picked from or the destination tree/branch (I have to deal with
> > these all the time when merging the drm trees in linux-next).  Much
> > better is to cross merge the branches so that the patch only appears
> > once or have a shared branches that are merged by any other branch that
> > needs the changes.
> >
> > I understand that things are not done like this in the drm trees :-(
>
> Hi Stephen,
>
> Thank you for the clarification--understood. I'll be more careful in the future.
> Thanks again! :-)

In this case, the best thing to do would indeed have been to ask the
drm-misc maintainers to merge drm-misc-fixes into drm-misc-next.

We're doing that all the time, but we're not ubiquitous so you need to
ask us :)

Also, dim should have caught that when you pushed the branch. Did you
use it?

Maxime