Re: linux-next: Signed-off-by missing for commit in the bpf tree

On Tue, Sep 12, 2023 at 4:15 PM Stephen Rothwell <sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Alexei,
>
> On Tue, 12 Sep 2023 15:18:45 -0700 Alexei Starovoitov <alexei.starovoitov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Sep 12, 2023 at 3:10 PM Stephen Rothwell <sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Commit
> > >
> > >   3903802bb99a ("libbpf: Add basic BTF sanity validation")
> > >
> > > is missing a Signed-off-by from its committer.
> >
> > Hmm. It's pretty difficult to fix.
> > We'd need to force push a bunch of commits and add a ton of
> > unnecessary SOBs to commits after that one.
> > Can you make a note of it somehow?
>
> No, I can't - git has no mechanism to do so.  However, I note that this
> commit is signed off by one of the BPF maintainers, so maybe it can be
> left as is and try to remember next time ;-)

Right. Daniel's SOB is there.

I think the sequence of events was the following.
We don't close bpf-next during the merge window.
Only don't push for-next branch.
Daniel committed that patch with his SOB.
I committed few others. Then bpf->net got merged and net-next was
fast forwarded. So we rebased bpf-next to the latest net-next
and I force pushed few patches without noticing that one was
committed by Daniel. Later we added a bunch more and a week
later when rc1 was out we pushed for-next for the first time.
Now that 3903802bb99a ("libbpf: Add basic BTF sanity validation")
is pretty far from the top with myself, Daniel, Martin, Andrii
as committers after.
So to fix that mistakes we'd need to force push all commits
after that one and add SOBs to all of them, since git cannot
force push preserving older committers.
I think the best to leave it as-is.
We'll be more careful in the future.