Re: next/master boot: 257 boots: 8 failed, 237 passed with 8 offline, 2 untried/unknown, 2 conflicts (next-20191028)

On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 01:02:19PM -0700, Bjorn Andersson wrote:
> On Mon 28 Oct 12:11 PDT 2019, Mark Brown wrote:

> > > db820c has been failing intermittently for a while now, it seems that
> > > booting with kpti enabled causes something to go wrong. There are
> > > nothing strange in the kernel logs and ftrace seems to indicate that all
> > > the CPUs are idling nicely.
> >
> > Oh dear.  Adding Catalin and Will.  Is it definitely KPTI that's
> > triggering stuff?  It did turn up some bugs on other systems, though
> > it's a bit strange it's only manifesting in KernelCI...
>
> I did a test recently where I booted my db820c 100 times with kpti=yes
> and 100 times with kpti=no on the kernel command line, and the result
> was 90% failure to reach console vs 0%. Going back and looking at the
> logs for the 10% indicated that the boot CPU was fine, but I had stalls
> reported on other CPUs.
>
> In an effort to rule out driver bugs I reduced the DT to CPUs, the core
> clocks, gic, timers and serial driver, and I still saw the problem.
>
> I have not looked at this with jtag and hence do not know what secure
> world is doing.

Hmm. Is this a recent thing? Neither kpti nor the snapdragon 820 are
particular new. Might be worth checking that CONFIG_QCOM_FALKOR_ERRATUM_1003
is enabled and getting patched in at runtime -- we had hardware issues
during kpti development with this CPU.

Will