Re: process question - linux-next conflicts

On Tue, Jul 05, 2016 at 11:36:34PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Nicholas,
>
> On Tue, 5 Jul 2016 13:01:24 +0000 Nicholas Mc Guire <der.herr@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >  linux-next daily tree mails include information on conflicts like
> >
> >  "The drm-misc tree gained a conflict against Linus' tree."
> >
> >  and if one looks at these email-reported conflicts they are quite
> >  inffrequent, e.g. March 2016 range from 0-5 with a mean of about 1.5,
> >  but the plots on http://neuling.org/linux-next-size.html for
> >  conflicts show significantly higher numbers, again March 2016
> >  range between aprox. 10 and 75 with a mean of aprox. 40 - so I´m
> >  mixing up something here - are the plots refereing to different
> >  conflicts or am I just interpreting the e-mail notes incorectly ?
>
> The graphs show the total number of conflicts you would get if you did
> the merges of all the trees from scratch on any one day.  But I only
> report new conflicts each day.

thanks - that explains it - what confused me is that the plot never seems
to reach 0 which I would have expected - but I guess that is due to the
fixes you are applying and/or trees that get temporarily dropping trees
that dont resolve conflicts.

thx!
hofrat