Re: [-next] cpu cache info in drivers base?

Hi Heiko,

On 24/11/14 15:00, Heiko Carstens wrote:
Hi there,

I'm just wondering what the point of the current cpu cache info
within drivers/base is?
If I startup linux-next (as of today) all I get is an error message
"error detecting cacheinfo..cpu0".

That's correct, I did post a patch[1] to suppress that given not all
architectures might add support.

Which naturally comes from:

int __weak init_cache_level(unsigned int cpu)
{
	return -ENOENT;
}

Given that there is no implementation without __weak I'm wondering
what the point is? Also it looks like no architecture has been
converted to the new infrastructure, even though such patches have
been posted in the past?

Yes, I asked Greg to hold off on the architecture patches for next
versions as there may be conflicts(though we can have solve it using
a common baseline, but I thought it was too late to try that). Also
I have not got testing on few other architectures(ppc, ia64, amd). I
will post those patches individually on respective arch lists and
chase after the v3.19-rc1 release. Is that OK ?

Regards,
Sudeep

[1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/11/12/351