Re: fix for "error: implicit declaration of function 'devres_alloc'" in Mar9 tree

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 8:48 AM, Mark Brown
<broonie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 09, 2012 at 10:11:56AM -0500, Paul Gortmaker wrote:
>
>> drivers/base/regmap/regmap.c:421: error: implicit declaration of function 'dev_err'
>> make[4]: *** [drivers/base/regmap/regmap.o] Error 1
>
>> This is caused by commit 19694b5ea1d3 which just appeared in today's next
>> tree exposing another implicit device.h user.  Just a quick note that I'll
>> take care of it by adding regmap.c to the below commit.
>
> No, it's not caused by that - in the subsystem tree there's an explicit
> inclusion of linux/device.h in the public header which is what is being
> relied on here.  You've gone and deleted that inclusion without CCing
> the patch to the subsystem and now you're sending a fix again without a
> CC to either me or the relevant list, and without even a mention in the
> subject line.

We are talking about a trivial fix here, and the deletion was one of about
fifty similar one-line deletions in include/linux, of which many files don't
even have clear owners.  So, while I can appreciate you wanting a CC,
it just wasn't practical in this case in my opinion.

> In order to avoid bisection breakage I've applied one of the several
> fixes for this that were sent to me today, please drop your change.

I don't see how this avoids any bisection breakage -- you've now introduced
a dependency that wasn't there before -- i.e. I would have to make sure
your change is present before my changes get pulled.  In any case I can
just ensure I have the exact same change as you and it will make sure
my series remains bisectable.

> This stuff would go a lot more smoothly if you were to at least let
> people know when you make changes, especially when issues introduced by
> your changes get noticed.

I've worked to get at least three different regulator regression fixes in,
None of those were related to any changes I made.  You were on the
to/CC of those fixes, and I even made changes as you requested.  My
point is that I do my best to follow implicit and explicit processes.  If
you've somehow come to conclude otherwise, I'm sorry to hear that.

Paul.