Re: linux-next not booting on snowball

On Fri, 2 Dec 2011, Daniel Lezcano wrote:

> On 12/01/2011 08:03 PM, Nicolas Pitre wrote:
> > Please have a look at this email:
> >
> > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ports.arm.kernel/141386
> >
> > There are two patches in there which should help you get some debugging
> > info out.
>

> Thanks Nicolas,
>
> I have applied the patches and I get:
>
> ---------------------
>
> <6>Booting Linux on physical CPU 0
> <6>Initializing cgroup subsys cpuset
> <6>Initializing cgroup subsys cpu
> <5>Linux version 3.2.0-rc2+ (dlezcano@monster) (gcc version 4.3.2
> (Debian 4.3.2-1.1) ) #7 SMP PREEMPT Thu Dec 1 2
> 3:58:34 CET 2011
> CPU: ARMv7 Processor [412fc091] revision 1 (ARMv7), cr=10c5387f
> CPU: PIPT / VIPT nonaliasing data cache, VIPT aliasing instruction cache
> Machine: Calao Systems Snowball platform
> <4>Ignoring unrecognised tag 0x41000403
> Memory policy: ECC disabled, Data cache writealloc
>
> ---------------------
>
> I am not able to understand these informations, I hope they can help to
> understand the problem.
>
> Is there something else I can do to help ?

Yes.  Either you have access to a fancy debugger and then you could
trace what happens from the moment devicemaps_init() is entered.

Or, using the good old way, just insert a couple of

	printk("%s:%s line %d\n", __FILE__, __func__, __LINE__);

in a couple places (still with the 2 earlier patches applied).  Good
locations for those traces would be:

 - Upon entering devicemaps_init() to confirm it makes that far.

 - Just before and right after the call to mdesc->map_io(), still in
   devicemaps_init().

 - If you don't see the trace after mdesc->map_io(), then the problem is
   most likely in u8500_map_io(), in which case you should add more
   traces in there to narrow the problem area down to the problematic
   call.

Nicolas