Re: git tag expiry?

Hi Joe,

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 10:22:52 -0800 Joe Perches <joe@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In order to keep the next git repository size down,
> are you going to continue to expire and delete older
> next-<date> tags after some number of months/days/weeks?
>
> I think it'd be sensible to keep a maximum of 2 months
> of tags and once a month expire out the oldest tags
> followed by a repack.

Currently, there should be 90 tags in the linux-next tree.  This should
easily cover a whole release cycle (and a bit extra). Each day, I remove
the oldest one.  Apparently "git gc" is run automatically on kernel.org
every so often.  I don;t think that the "git gc" should affect how much
is downloaded (very much), though.

Also, if you fetch the tree, you should only get the latest version as I
also removed the "history" branch that was stiching all the tags
together.   So to get an older tag, you need to explicitly fetch it (or
use --tags on the fetch - unless you mirror the tree, in which case you
will get the whole lot).  If you fetch each day, you should only be
downloading a few MB ...

The linux-next history tree has all the tags just in case anyone wants an
older one.
--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx