Re: linux-next: ground rules

Hi James,

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 08:56:13 -0500 James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 2009-08-14 at 18:02 +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> >
> >      * successfully unit tested, and
>
> The rest are fine, but this one isn't feasible for a driver tree ... I
> don't have all the hardware, and people will insist on fixing
> theoretical bugs in drivers we can't test on.
>
> A lot of time, bugs turn up in this code only after it has been on
> release for several months and the small pool of HW owners actually gets
> around to testing it.
>
> Additionally, I have to carry patches on trust for HW I'm never likely
> to see outside someones multi-million dollar lab.

OK, in the context of linux-next, "successfully unit tested" to me means
that it doesn't break on "reasonable" builds (i.e. x86(_64) allmodconfig
or something similar) and probably won't break if someone tries to use
it.  Clearly, you are correct, you can't test everything.  I guess I just
want to be able to be justifiably annoyed if my builds break for
something obvious (which does happen from time to time :-().

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx