Re: linux-next: manual merge of the kmemleak tree

On Thu, 2009-01-15 at 19:49 +0200, Eduard - Gabriel Munteanu wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 12:04:57PM +0000, Catalin Marinas wrote:
> > The only issue is that kmemleak would need to register the callbacks
> > before the slab allocator is initialised (otherwise it may miss some
> > allocations). So it would need a 3-stage initialisation - pre-slab,
> > post-slab and late_initcall.
>
> Sure, that is not a problem, as kmemtrace needn't be compiled in for
> the tracepoints to work. As long as they're defined in some header and
> included, you can register multiple probes from all over the kernel.
> This also means you won't have to interact with kmemtrace code.

I noticed that the memory allocation tracepoints were merged into
mainline. I'll modify kmemleak to use them and probably add another for
vmalloc.

Since tracing is available even without KMEMTRACE, does it make sense to
have kmem_cache_alloc_notrace depend on CONFIG_TRACEPOINTS (or something
else)?

Thanks.

--
Catalin