Re: linux-next: manual merge of the rr tree

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009, Rusty Russell wrote:

> 3) We do still need RELOC_HIDE: it's for the compiler, not us.  It
>    can otherwise make assumptions about pointers remaining within objects.

Never heard about that one. If the compiler would make the assumption that
pointers stay within a struct then the processor could hold data from
another per cpu section in registers while writing to the per cpu variable
of that per cpu section right?

But doesnt GCC invalidate all object pointers to a certain type of struct
if one field is modified?

And how will this work in cases where the pointer value is converted to
unsigned long?