Re: linux-next: manual merge of the staging tree

On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 12:35:57PM -0800, David Miller wrote:
> From: Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 07:17:50 -0800
>
> > On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 08:34:03PM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> > > Hi Greg,
> > >
> > > Today's linux-next merge of the staging tree got a conflicts in
> > > drivers/staging/wlan-ng/p80211netdev.c and
> > > drivers/staging/wlan-ng/p80211wext.c between commit
> > > 979123d5343b4fdcd4c682745b8a0be9b8fac248 ("staging-p80211: Kill directly
> > > reference of netdev->priv") from the net tree and various commits from
> > > the staging tree.
> > >
> > > I fixed it up (see below) and can carry the fixes as necessary. (In the
> > > case of the second file, the latter removed the code that the former
> > > modified.)
> >
> > Dave, can you just drop the patch from your queue?  This should already
> > be fixed up in the -next tree to not use the field you are wanting to
> > remove, right?  So you shouldn't get any build errors from what I can
> > tell.
>
> I'd have to revert, which is ugly, because I tend to never
> rebase my tree as too many people depend upon it.
>
> Do you _really_ want me to do that?

Ick, no, that's ok.

You should use quilt, make it much easier to revert :)

> Because I have to do allmodconfig test builds _too_, and the build
> will fail for me if I do these reverts which really would suck.

Ok, that's fine, as long as stephen can keep this patch in his tree,
I'll apply it to mine when you merge with Linus, as the staging tree
will probably be one of the last things before the next -rc1 window
closes.

thanks,

greg k-h