Re: linux-next: sound tree build failure

[For Peter and Ingo, we are discussing commit
621a0d5207c18012cb39932f2d9830a11a6cb03d ("hrtimer: clean up unused
callback modes") that went into Linus' tree yesterday but broke the sound
tree in linux-next which used one of the removed defines.]

Hi Takshi,

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 08:07:44 +0100 Takashi Iwai <tiwai@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> To defense myself: the reason of the rebase is irrelevant with this
> build error.  It's just a sad coincident.

There is no need to defend yourself, as you say a sad coincidence.

I am sorry if dropping the sound tree has made you feel attacked, it is
just the new way I am doing things - I cannot fix every problem, so I
will not try in most cases.  The sound tree will be restored as soon as
this is fixed up.

> I had to rebase the sound tree because I need to drop one topic branch
> which cause another build error.  Of course, I could revert each 15 commit
> of that topic branch, but it's also annoying.  Thus I decided to rebase
> (just re-merging each topic branch again from scratch).

And that is perfectly fine.  As you said the rebase had nothing to do
with this new build error.

> I'm wondering why this happens, though.  Such a clean-up patch should
> has been tested enough long on linux-next before pushed into Linus
> tree.  And, I see no reason to push a clean-up patch at this late rc
> stage...

A lot of stuff goes into Linus' tree without entering linux-next at all.
But, as you say, this clean up patch, and, coming through the tip trees, I
would have expected to be in linux-next for at least a day ...

Things like this happen all the time ...
--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx