Re: Hung processes (root fs on USB pen-drive)

On Sat, 18 Oct 2008, Vegard Nossum wrote:

> > The log shows a disconnect on usb 1-2 and a failed reset followed by a
> > logical disconnect on usb 1-6.  If either of those was the root fs,
> > it's understandable that your system would hang.  After all, you can't
> > expect it to do much when the root fs is gone.
>
> I agree :-) The root fs was plugged in all along, and I didn't touch
> it. The root fs was this (from same log):
>
> usb 1-6: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
> usb 1-6: New USB device found, idVendor=090c, idProduct=1000
> usb 1-6: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
> usb 1-6: Product: DISK 2.0
> usb 1-6: Manufacturer: USB
> usb 1-6: SerialNumber: 9GXZ0MZLH75GCAH7
>
> So it seems that maybe the disk itself is bad? But it is also an odd
> coincidence that it would only happen when (re-)plugging other USB
> devices?

Some sort of hardware problem caused the communication with 1-6 to fail
when 1-2 was unplugged.  No way to tell exactly what went wrong without
using a bus analyzer -- and even that might not give an exact answer.
For instance, it's possible that the EHCI controller hardware got
confused as a result of the disconnect occurring on port 2 while data
was being transferred over port 6.

You could try getting a hub and plugging the flash drives into the hub
rather than into the computer.  That might make a difference.

Alan Stern