Re: Feedback on my development setup

On 23/04/24 21:04, Josh Marshall wrote:
I have a draft document which I would like broader review on, which
currently lives here:
https://gitlab.com/anadon/getting-started-on-kernel-dev-guide-workspace.
This document is to ease the setup of Kernel Development.  I intend to
send this in as a patch to the mainline doc tree once it gets by a
suitable number of reviewers.

Hi Josh,
Commendable effort.
I find the doc a little verbose: The official documentation, (for better or worse) doesn't explain things in such detail, and assumes considerable maturity in OSs and the shell.

For instance, the paragraph in the beginning doesn't give a crisp description of what's going on - I think you can split it into two. "It uses as an example..." can go to the end. Same goes for the first note: are all of the details even needed?

The later sections are user-manual-y: "Here we need to obtain the basic materials to work with. These are ..." can be "Download a VM image and the Linux source."

Unrelated: a mistake I made many times when compiling Linux was to go with [Y]s and [n]s - it may be worth mentioning in that section that some prompts take an empty string for an answer, at least in Debian/Ubuntu.

Disclaimer: Linux Newbie here. Suggestions/disagreement will make my day.
Thanks,
Pranjal