loop device disappearing after a while

Hi,

When I was testing ioctls on missing backing devices
for loop devices I found an anomaly in how the system
reports it and I wonder if it is by design or a bug.

A missing backing device for a loop device will still
respond favourably to the LOOP_GET_STATUS ioctl

while inactive devices respond with ENODEV.

However when the backing device has been absent
for a great while (at least multiple hours)
the response turns into EIO.

This is kernel 4.10 btw.

So to make it more clear:

- loop device not in use at all = ENODEV
- loop device "gone" = 0
- loop device "gone" after multiple hours = EIO.

And I wonder if this change from 0 to EIO is by design or not?

Regards,