Re: Understanding the wireless architecture

On Sat, Oct 07, 2017 at 09:23:04PM +0530, Madhu K wrote:
> I am kernel newbie, I wanted to learn linux wireless architecture and
> I want to write some wireless drivers. So please suggest me some
> tutorials or documents which will help me to understand the linux
> wireless device drivers architecture.

I am also newbie. Although I have no plan to learn wireless
architecture, I do think that Linux kernel (device driver module)
programming is not newbie-friendly.

In my opinion, LDD3 is somehow outdated. Wireless network is not
covered, while there is a full chapter covering parallel port, which is
hard for newbies to learn due to difficulty to buy appropriate hardware.

Moreover, many interfaces are updated. Semaphores have been replaced by
mutexes long ago. There are also advanced .{read|write}_iter functions
in file_operations which can replace {.read|.write}. I cannot understand
the read_iter_zero function in drivers/char/mem.c after I read LDD3.

I wish a better resource for newbies to learn driver programming, maybe
LDD4, maybe a more detailed book elsewhere.

Cheers
Zheng Lv