Re: [Outreachy kernel] commiting the .git/hooks/pre-commit and testing the changes on the updated e1000_main.c

Hi Courage ? ;)
I'll help you.  I'm an outreachy intern now.

We need to move this thread over to linux-newbie mailing list, since
this outreachy list won't be active until the next application round.
Please 'cc linux-newbie on posts as I've done above.

See comments in line below.
alisons

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 11:06:10AM -0700, courage angeh wrote:
> I am a newbie... just start recently preparing for the out reach program in
> December.... i started at: https://kernelnewbies.org/Outreachyfirstpatch
> but i have a number of difficulties:
> 1. After editx... ,  recompiling my driver, installing the changes and
> rebooting my linux system . I tested the changes but i didn't find the
> message " I can modify the Linux kernel!".... i contacted the irc
> channel:#kernel-outreachy but i seemed not to exist.

Let's go step by step.

Let's make sure you put in a printk that will get printed.
Let's make sure you've compiled the module.

Confirm you compiled the module...do you see a .ko with new timestamp?

Can you sudo modprobe <drivername> ?
Or sudo insmod drivername.ko ?

(at this point you don't need to keep rebooting the kernel.  We will
modprobe add/remove your driver.)

post what you have on the above items and I'll take a look.

> 2. i went ahead to creating the .git/hooks/pre-commit but when i try
> staging and commiting the file i get the respective errors:
>
> error: Invalid path '.git/hooks/pre-commit'
> error: unable to add .git/hooks/pre-commit to index
> fatal: adding files failed
>
> and
>
> error: pathspec 'First patch' did not match any file(s) known to git.
>
> please some one help me out???

You are not submitted that pre-commit hooks file.  It lives in your
git tree to poke you went you make a submittal.