Non-interactive configuration with command line options

To better automate kernel building when I only need to modify a few
options, I want to write something like:

    make defconfig CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO=y

and have all dependency conflicts that might generate solved with
`make silentoldconfig`. Is there such a command?

Alternatives I've found and why I'm not satisfied:

- `sed`: requires typing up a sed command or an alias.
- prepare a `.config` file, and copy it around. Overhead of copying
and remembering the path or creating an alias

Disadvantages of both of the above: do not reuse the build directory
information given to `make`, either through `O=` or `KBUILD_OUTPUT`.
Of course, our alias could take them into account, but that adds more
overhead again.

Also asked at:

- http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7505164/how-do-you-non-interactively-turn-on-features-in-a-linux-kernel-config-file?answertab=active#tab-top

- http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/19905/non-interactive-configuration-of-linux-kernel

If anyone would review a patch for that, I will attempt it.