Disallow process from being scheduled for specific duration

Hi all,

First, I would like to establish that I'm fairly new to the scheduler
portion of kernel code.

I'm trying to implement a crude form of the rate limiting approaches
described in:
Currentcy - http://cseweb.ucsd.edu/~vahdat/papers/usenix03.pdf
Pixie - http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~mdw/papers/pixie-sensys08.pdf

My current design is as follows ('task' refers to the current process'
task_struct):
    - I have augmented a hardware simulator(Gem5) with registers that
keep track of energy usage.
    - Upon every call to __schedule(), subtract the register value
from 'task->available_energy'
        - If 'task->available_energy' is negative:
            - Compute 'replenish_time' as time taken to replenish energy
            - Call schedule_timeout(msecs_to_jiffies(replenish_time))
        -  Reset energy registers

I'm primarily looking to disallow scheduling of the current task for
the period defined as 'replenish_time'.

I can see how it might be wrong to call schedule_timeout() from within
__schedule().
If so, what would be the right way of designing such a mechanism?

Regards