From: Peter Teoh <htmldeveloper@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Ramaraju G <ramarajug@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "linux-newbie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <linux-newbie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, October 8, 2011 11:43 PM
Subject: Re: kgdg over ethernet

as u know, KGDB is an in-kernel debugger, as it modifies the linux kernel to be able to interact with serial port at an early stage of bootup.    but ethernet port setup takes place much later in the bootup sequence.   and so debugging over ethernet port is possible (netconsole, lookup kernel source's Documentation directory), but not when u want to know what is happening at an early stage.

if u just want to learn, I have done this before using VirtualBox + kgdb running in the guest OS, and then gdb in the host machine to connect to the guest via the serial port, or named pipes etc.

but if really need serial port, I am sure there exists a Docking station for your laptop....and it is hardware specific, so u have to go to the specific hardware community to hunt for it.   for example, mine is R400 Lenovo, so I found here:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/product-and-parts/detail.page?DocID=PD005598

where it mentioned how to get serial port (at least 3 different devices are available).

but if u are electronic-savvy, perhaps u can search for the schematic and attach the serial port yourself, for example, for my R400 the schematic is (plus several other model as well) here:

http://www.laptopschematic.com/lenovo-thinkpad-r400-schematic-diagram-mlb3d-6/

On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 12:51 PM, Ramaraju G <ramarajug@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>How to enable kgdb over ethernet support in linux kernel 2.6.38 ?
>I dont have any serial port in my laptop.
>
>regards,
>Raju
>--

Regards,