Re: smap output - unnamed entries and heap

On Thursday 17 March 2011 12:46:13 Aneesh Bhasin wrote:
[..]
> However, as I wrote earlier, there a lot of anonymous memory regions
> listed in smap output (with permission rwxp) - and I do not know of
> any way in which I could associate these memory mapping to a
> particular library..
A few years ago, I had a similar need. I made a small library which overload
malloc (and free) and display caller (using backtrace_symbols function).
Next I loaded it using LD_PRELOAD. The main problems are :
  * it only work for malloced memory (not mmaped memory)
  * It is difficult to interpred efficiently information provided. Name of
caller may not be sufficient to understand why memory is allocated.

--
Jérôme Pouiller <jezz@xxxxxxxxxx>