Changing Kernel 3g / 1g memory split

Hi,

1) As far as I understand the 3G / 1G split of the kernel is in
virtual address space, and the Highmem / lowmem concept is in physical
address space. So I just want to know that if I change the memory
split (from 3g/1g to 2g/2g), then will my ZONE_NORMAL also be expanded
to be (896M + 1G)?

2) Are there any disadvantages (other than the user applications
having to limit themselves to 2G of memory) of increasing the memory
split to 2G?

3) And finally, in order to complete this change and to ensure my
applications are awrae of it and are doing the needful to restrict
themselves in only 2G, do I also need to make changes in the glibc or
the gcc?

TIA,

Rick