Kernel Patch and Config Issues

I am having two issues with compiling my kernel. I am using 2.6.26 source.

The first issue has to do with config and mkinitramfs. I have been
messing with kernel to see what happens in different situations and I
can't figure out why my expectation is different from the outcome
here. The steps I'm using are;

make mrproper

make allmodconfig

make

make modules_install

make install

mkinitramfs-kpkg -o /boot/img-2.6.26 2.6.26

I anticipate the outcome to be that I will have all drivers loaded as
modules yet my wireless network card won't work. I was under the
impression that mkinitramfs without options would load all modules at
boot, is this not the case? If not what steps would I need to take to
ensure that all modules are loaded at boot.

The other issue is with patching. I am attempting to patch the source
with the -5 patch using the command;

patch -p1 < patch-2.6.26-5.tar.gz

from the top level of the source tree. I get an error saying that the
entire patch is garbage. I checked the man page for patch already and
didn't see anything to suggest that I was doing the wrong thing here
so I'm pretty confused on this one.

Thanks in advance for the help

 - Phil C

--