Re: Porting linux kernel on Xilinx FPGA board

Well, if I remember well the basics, if you load an FPGA with the core
of a PowerPC (which you seem to already have at your disposal) then it
will (should) process things exactly as a PPC would. So you could just
have it load any precompiled binaries for PPC such as a Linux kernel
and things should work properly.
You would also need to load the schematics for other interfaces you
had on your board such as VGA, keyboard, mouse, network adaptor,
memory access, IDE, PCI, serial port and everything else you would
have at your disposal.

On LinuxDevices.com I found several projects which have been using
this strategy you are trying. You could check those.

I am, however, very inexperienced at this and I would like to learn
more. I only used FPGAs to run my own programs on my own designed
architecture, nothing nearly as sophisticated as Linux on PPC. If
others could CC their replies to me as well I would greatly appreciate
it, for curiosity's sake.

Arthur

--
  (.)   CAMPANHA DA FITA ASCII (http://arc.pasp.de/)