kernel 2.6 for Xscale IXP42x platform

Hi Everybody,

I would like to load kernel 2.6 on my customised Target board having IXP422.
I have u-boot 1.1.6 bootloader.

For this, I would like to know which kernel version can i decide on? How can
i determine which version of 2.6 to go in for? Also do i need any patch?
which ones ? and how to add a patch? can someone guide me through?

I have an Image which was done earlier with a different kernel used for the
same board with redboot bootloader? Can i try using the same or will it be
checking somewhere for the redboot bootloader?

Which toolchain should i use for building this kernel for X-scale IXP422 big
endian architecture ? Is there nay opensource toolchain readymade avaliable
or do i have to built one myself? I have never done this before though..

For the time being, I have downloaded the kernel 2.6.20 from kernel.org. how
do i proceed next? how to get the IXP422 option in the kernel arch?

Can you guide me through this process
Pl help!

Queenie