Re: Threading in linux

Rick Brown wrote:

Could you hint upon the kernel features required for NPTL? May be a link?

I know very little about this, but by coincidence (the application program I work on got a nice bugfix because of this) I can tell you one kernel difference on x86_64 kernels that support NPTL.

For NPTL on x86_64, the kernel reserves a register for thread-ID. That register is swapped as part of the context switch the kernel does. In the older LinuxThreads, thread-ID was established by looking up a stack address in a table. In the LinuxThreads implementation, thread-ID was broken whenever a thread ran on the alt-stack.

John Aspinall
-