Re: vmalloc and page faults (was: memory descriptor and kernel threads)

On 4/19/07, Rajat Jain <rajat.noida.india@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

> ... the kernel thread is as sensitive as the kernel itself
> for the page faults. It _should not_ fault, unless ofcourse if its a
> vmalloc'ed area .. and that happens every other kernel path anyway....

I have a doubt about the vmalloc'ed memory. Is the vmalloced chunk of
memory allowed to be swapped out? Can it / Does it?
No, it is not swappable, you get non contigous chunks of memory
allocated using kmalloc actually. Therefore, IMHO it is not swappable.
please CMIIW.

My doubt arises
from the fact that the memory for the loadable modules at module load
time is allocated using vmalloc() ...
Yes, looks to me too :).But here is another question to all.
Why vmalloc is used to allocate memory for modules and not kmalloc?
Even though memory we can get using vmalloc is from a scarce pool.

TIA
~psr

Thanks,

Rajat